Embedded Localization and Communication System Designed for Intelligent Guided Transports
© ElHillali et al. 2007
Received: 14 October 2006
Accepted: 16 February 2007
Published: 30 April 2007
Nowadays, many embedded sensors allowing localization and communication are being developed to improve reliability, security and define new exploitation modes in intelligent guided transports. This paper presents the architecture of a new system allowing multiuser access and combining the two main functionalities: localization and high data flow communication. This system is based on cooperative coded radar using a transponder inside targets (trains, metro, etc). The sensor uses an adapted digital correlation receiver in order to detect the position, compute the distance towards the preceding vehicle, and get its status and identification. To allow multiuser access and to combine the two main functionalities, an original multiplexing method inspired from direct sequence-code division multiple access (DS-CDMA) technique and called sequential spreading spectrum technique (SSS2) is introduced. This study is focused on presenting the implementation of the computing unit according to limited resources in embedded applications. Finally, the measurement results for railway environment will be presented.
- King J: The security of merchant shipping. Marine Policy 2005,29(3):235-245. 10.1016/j.marpol.2004.04.006View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Wahl T, Høye GK, Lyngvi A, Narheim BT: New possible roles of small satellites in maritime surveillance. Acta Astronautica 2005,56(1-2):273-277. 10.1016/j.actaastro.2004.09.025View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Fremont B, Menhaj A, Deloof P, Heddebaut M: A cooperative collision avoidance and communication system for railway transports. Proceedings of IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC '00), October 2000, Dearborn, Mich, USA 216-221.Google Scholar
- Elhillali Y, Tatkeu C, Rivenq A, Rouvaen JM: Enhancement and implementation of a localization and communication system dedicated to guided transports. Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on ITS Telecommunications (ITST '06), June 2006, Chengdu, China 596-599.Google Scholar
- Ottosson T: Coding, modulation and multiuser decoding for DSCDMA systems. Doktorsavhandlingar vid Chalmers Tekniska Hogskola, 1343 1997, 192.Google Scholar
- Tatkeu C, Deloof P, Elhillali Y, Rivenq A, Rouvaen JM: A cooperative radar system for collision avoidance and communications between vehicles. Proceedings of IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Conference (ITSC '06), Toronto, Canada 2006, September 1012-1016.
- Tatkeu C, Elhillali Y, Rivenq A, Rouvaen JM: Evaluation of coding's methods for the development of a radar sensor for localization and communication dedicated to guided transport. Proceedings of the 60th IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC '04), September 2004, Los Angeles, Calif, USA 3: 2244-2247.Google Scholar
- Dixon R (Ed): Spread Spectrum Techniques. IEEE Press, New York, NY, USA; 1976.Google Scholar
- Glas J: Spread Spectrum Techniques. Delft University of Technology, 1996, http://cobalt.et.tudelft.nl/~glas/ssc/techn/techniques.html
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.